Head Stand : SHIRSHASANA
1. Sit in a kneeling position with the buttocks resting on the heels of the feet.
2. Lean forward and place the forearms on the floor in front while keeping the elbows about shoulder distance apart. Interlock the fingers of both hands.
3. Place the top of the head flat on the floor with the back of the head pressed against the inside of the interlocked fingers.
4. Placing the tips of the toes firmly on the floor while lifting the heels, raise the knees off the floor.
5. Hold for the duration of the held inhaled breath. When you can't hold the breath comfortable any longer, slowly exhale and return the back to the floor, slide the legs out straight returning to the shava-asana.
1. It is king of all Asanas, This asana makes healthy pure blood flow through the brain cells, pituitary and pineal glands. This rejuvenates brain cells so thinking power increases.
2. It cures of loss of sleep, memory and vitality.
3. Lungs get power to resist any climate and any work, which relieves one from colds.
4. It also cures constipation and improves hemoglobin content of the blood.
5. By reversing the flow of gravity, a headstand simulates a “face lift” by letting your skin hang in the opposite direction. The inverted position of a headstand also flushes fresh nutrients and oxygen to the face, creating a glowing effect on the skin.
6. Headstands increase nutrients and blood flow to the scalp, decreasing onset of grey hair. Some yogis say that it will even convert grey hair back to its natural color!
7. Headstands stimulate and provide refreshed blood to the pituitary and hypothalamus glands. These glands are vital to our wellbeing, and are considered the master glands that regulate all other glands in the body (thyroid, pineal, and adrenals).
8. When the adrenal glands are flushed and detoxified with headstands, we create more positive thought. Depression will decrease, as going upside down will almost always put a smile on your face.
9. It's great to bust out a headstand at a party. Your peers will be impressed!
10. Improved circulation occurs with a headstand practice. Because the heart constantly has to pump blood upward to the brain, the headstand gives the heart a rest and reduces unnecessary strain. In addition, while in headstand de-oxygenated blood is able to flow more easily from the extremities to the heart.
11. Any fluid that is retained in the feet is able to drain (edema), therefore reducing the onset and prevalence of varicose veins.
12. Headstands increase digestive fire and increase body heat. The intestines are cleansed by reversing the pull of gravity, while releasing congested blood in the colon.
13. Eliminate your chances of having an ischemic stroke, as scientific evidence shows that this type of stroke rarely occurs in individuals that consistently do headstands!